Friday, November 14, 2014

Past Continuous

pedagangkampus.blogspot.com

Complete List of Past Continuous Forms

Use the Past Continuous to indicate that a longer action in the past was interrupted. The interruption is usually a shorter action in the Simple Past. Remember this can be a real interruption or just an interruption in time

Example :

  • I was watching TV when she called
  • While I was writing the email, the computer suddenly went off
  • Sugi was waiting for us when we got off the plane
  • While Tono was sleeping last night, some one stole his bus
  • You were not listening to me when I told you to turn the oven off
  • I was listening to my iPod, so I didn't hear the alarm
  • What were you doing when the earthquake started?
  • While we were having the picnic, it started to rain
  • When the phone rang, she was writing a letter
  • A : What were you doing when you broke your leg?
I was snowboarding

[was/were + present participle]

Use 2 Specific time as an Interruption

In use 1, describe above, the past continuous is interrupted by a shorter action in the simple past. However, you can also use a specific time as an interruption

Example :

  • Last night at 7 PM, I was eating dinner
  • Yesterday at this time, I was sitting at my desk at work
  • At midnight, we were still driving through the desert

Important

In the simple past, a specific time is used to show when an action began or finished. In the Past Continuous, a specific time only interrupts the action

Example:

  • Last night at 6 PM. I ate dinner. I started eating at 6 Pm
  • Last night at 6 PM. I was eating dinner. I started earlier and at 6 PM, I was in the process of eating dinner

0 comments:

Post a Comment